Biodiversity - variety of different species of organisms on Earth or in an ecosystem.
Greenhouse gases - gases in the atmosphere which help keep the warm energy in.
Global Warming - when the Earth heats up because of the increasing levels of greenhouse gases.
Climate change - the Earth weather patterns change and remain in place for an extended period of time.
Deforestation - the clearing of forests. Can cause:
- More CO2 in the atmosphere which can lead to global warming.
- More CO2 is released from the burning of trees.
- Less biodiversity, species becoming extinct when their homes are destroyed.
Peat Bogs - areas of land that are acidic and waterlogged.
Trophic levels - different stages of a food chain.
- Trophic level 1: Producers eg. plants & algae.
- Trophic level 2: Primary consumers eg. Herbivores that only eat plants & algae.
- Trophic level 3: Secondary Consumers eg. Carnivores that are meat eaters.
- Trophic level 4: Tertiary Consumers eg. Carnivores that have no predators.
Food security - having enough food to feed a population.
Mycoprotein - used to make high-protein meat substitutes. It's made from the fungus Fusarium.
Links for Learning
Websites Videos Games Quizzes